Below you will find the full rules for the Oakville Vocal Arts Festival. Please be sure to read through all of the points below before submitting your registration. A PDF version of the rules is also available.
- The festival shall be known as the Oakville Vocal Arts Festival.
- The Festival Committee has full control over the management of the Festival. All matters not dealt within these rules shall be referred to the Committee.
- The Committee reserves the right to subdivide any class into two or more classes, under circumstances where the time and number of entries dictate.
- The Festival Committee reserves the right to substitute or appoint additional adjudicators.
- The Festival Committee reserves the right to refuse entries and/or any selections that are deemed inappropriate, either in style or content.
- Teachers must be the student’s primary vocal teacher.
- All teachers involved must volunteer in the festival in some capacity.
- Notifications showing date, time and location for each class entered will be forwarded via email to competitors and teachers. Please ensure the email address is current and correct on the registration form.
- It is essential that you notify the Festival Committee of any change of address or email address following submission of the entry form.
- The syllabus and program may be viewed online at oakvillevocalartsfestival.ca
- It is understood that all information collected on the entry form and any photos taken during the Oakville Vocal Arts Festival will be used for festival purposes only. By registering, you are giving permission for the sharing of personal information and/or photos for the following purposes: official program, festival website and media press releases.
- For general inquiries, please email the Festival Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All other questions and/or concerns must be made in writing and submitted to the Committee at email@example.com.\
- Application: Online entry forms must be submitted by September 30, 2019 with the full required fee as indicated in the syllabus.
- Repertoire List: Students must submit the song selections for each class by October 31, 2019.
- Only amateur singers may enter this festival, unless otherwise noted. For the purpose of this festival, an amateur shall be defined as follows: A music student or any person whose principal means of livelihood is not obtained from the performance or teaching of music in the particular category in which he/she is competing even though from time to time such a person is in receipt of remuneration for musical services rendered, but not on a full-time basis.
- Students must be under the prescribed age limit for each class entered as of December 31, 2019.
- Participants entering in graded classes must not have completed a conservatory exam at that grade level prior to December 31 of the current calendar year.
- Performers studying with or performing in a group directed by an adjudicator, in the discipline in which they are competing during the calendar year of the festival, will be ineligible to compete in the classes adjudicated by that adjudicator.
- All entries should be submitted online at oakvillevocalartsfestival.ca
- Registration forms must be completed in full. Incomplete forms will NOT be processed.
- Payment must be made in full at the time of registration. Entries without the accompanying payment will not be processed by the registration system.
- The name on the entry form should be as you wish it to appear in the program.
- Teachers and students are entirely responsible for entry in the correct class. Please check entry forms carefully, as adjustments will NOT be made once scheduling is complete. Students who perform pieces that are not eligible will receive adjudication only.
- Entry fees will not be refunded, except under circumstances where the entry is refused by the Committee.
- Entry fees will cover ONLY the student's participation in the Festival. Participants are responsible for acquiring and paying their own accompanist(s).
- A participant may use a selection only once during the current festival year.
- Participants must arrive at least 20 minutes prior to the start of each of their class.
- Students must perform on the day, time, and in the order indicated in the program, unless special arrangements are made with the coordinator due to a scheduling conflict.
- It is recommended that performers announce their selection(s) in all classes.
- Performers should wait for the adjudicator to signal before commencing each selection.
- Musical introductions and postludes may be abridged by accompanists.
- The adjudicator’s comments will be given to each competitor at the close of each class.
Performance Rules and Etiquette
- Please respect that the Oakville Vocal Arts Festival is a SCENT-FREE festival.
- The festival will not provide music for adjudicators. Performers must provide the Adjudicator’s Secretary with original music with bars numbered at the beginning of each staff for the use of the adjudicator. All copyright laws must be observed. Photocopies or computer-generated copies will not be accepted unless they show legal authorization from the publisher or copyright holder or proof of purchase. Please note that these regulations also apply to all accompanists. Accompanists are permitted to play from photocopies or transposed copies, as long as a copy of the original score is present on the piano. Failure to comply with this rule will result in disqualification.
- All selections MUST be memorized and performed with live piano accompaniment only, unless otherwise noted. No taped accompaniments are allowed including backing tracks unless otherwise noted.
- Appropriate behavior and consideration of other performers is expected at all times and in all aspects of this festival. Performers may be disqualified if their conduct proves disruptive.
- Please ensure all cell phones, pagers and other electronic devices are turned off or put on silent.
- Audio and/or video recording is permitted for the performance of YOUR OWN student/child. All persons recording must be SEATED in the designated chairs well behind the adjudicator. All types of recording are strictly prohibited during other students' performances. No photography or recording is allowed during the Adjudicators' remarks and workshops.
- Parents or teachers are NOT to make any form of visual communication with participants during performances.
- No participants or parents may approach the adjudicator. Any questions or concerns should be directed to the secretary or the Committee.
Adjudications and Results
- Performances will be judged on the discrimination shown in the choice of program, as well as interpretation and technique.
- Concert classes (classes with more than one song) will be judged on the total performance, including selection, interpretation, and program arrangement with regard to contrast, appropriateness and suitability.
- Decisions of the Adjudicator are final.
- No marks will be awarded to the participants. Provided satisfactory standards are achieved, gold, silver and bronze standings will be awarded at the adjudicator's discretion.
- Participants will only receive adjudications in all “adjudication-only” classes. No standards or awards will be given.
- Workshops are instructional sessions given by the adjudicators for the benefit of the competitors, and deal with performances heard.
- Workshops are given only at the end of each concert class.
- The Oakville Vocal Arts Festival is a member of OMFA. As such, the committee will have the adjudicators recommend representatives from our festival to participate in the OMFA Provincial competition.
- It is recommended that students interested in qualifying for Provincials enter more than one class in this festival. Consideration will be given to students who participated in multiple classes.
- The Oakville Vocal Arts Festival will be organizing an evening concert at the close of the festival to take place on Sunday, November 24.
- All students are invited to participate in a group performance of two (2) selections. A group rehearsal will be held on Sunday afternoon before the gala. Performers MUST attend this rehearsal to be part of the evening performance.
- All other performances will be chosen by the adjudicators. Only students participating in the massed choir will be permitted to perform solo selections.