Music Theatre Syllabus
- All selections should be age, voice type and gender/gender identification appropriate.
- Selections that are primarily patter (spoken) will not be accepted.
- Spoken passages are allowed only if published in the score provided.
- Minimum props and costumes are encouraged providing change can be made quickly between selections in concert classes. Costumes and props will NOT be judged.
- Competitors may use costumes, up to two (2) hand-held props per selection, and stage movement (no dance break).
- All selections are to be sung from a published score. Transpositions are permitted.
- Please note that selections must be from a musical theatre production and may NOT be cabaret, mash-ups, Glee arrangements or pop songs.
- Participants must perform two (2) contrasting selections from staged musical theatre productions.
- The choice of materials will be taken into consideration by the adjudicator.
1950 & Before Solo
- Participants must perform one selection from any staged musical produced in or prior to 1950.
- Participants must perform one (1) selection from any staged musical produced within the years 1951 to 1970.
- Participants must perform one (1) selection from any staged musical produced within the years 1971-1990.
- Participants must perform one (1) selection from any staged musical produced within the years 1991-2010.
2011 & After Solo
- Participants must perform one (1) selection from any staged musical produced in or after 2011.
- Participants need to perform one (1) selection from a Canadian theatre production.
- The selection must be composed by a Canadian, or where at least one of the composers is Canadian.
- For this festival, a Canadian composer is defined as a composer who is either native to the country of Canada, is a citizen of Canada, or has spent a major portion of his/her career living and working in Canada.
- Participants may not sing a self-composed selection.
Film and Animated Film Solos
- Participants must perform one (1) own choice selection from any released film or animated film including Disney.
Solo - Own Choice
- Participants must perform one (1) theatre or theatre-style selection.
- Selections need not be from a staged musical, and may be a stand-alone song.
- Participants must be in their first (1st) year of private voice lessons, and/or be in their first music festival experience.
- Performers shall perform one (1) selection of his/her choice from any staged musical theatre production.
|Class 3000: Girls & Boys 12 & under||$25.00||More Information|
|Class 3001: Girls & Boys 16 & under||$25.00||More Information|
|Class 3002: Male & Female 19 & under||$25.00||More Information|
|Class 3003: Adults 20 & over||$25.00||More Information|
- Small Ensembles are groups of 3-12 performers
- Use the average age of all participants when selecting appropriate classes
- If using tracks, the ensemble must provide their own sound system
- Live accompaniment or tracks can be used but must be a single instrument.
- Each performer may sing one (1) selection of his/her choice from any staged musical theatre production.
- Adjudicator will spend 15 minutes (including performance of piece) with each performer.
|Class 3200: Girls & Boys 14-18 years||$45.00||More Information|
|Class 3201: Male & Female 19 & over||$45.00||More Information|